The former South African president and anti-apartheid icon celebrates his 94th birthday Wednesday. July 18 has been designated as International Nelson Mandela Day, and South Africans and people around the world are asked to dedicate 67 minutes on this day to helping others in recognition of the 67 years Mandela spent working to the improve other peoples' lives.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
Subscribe to the Week