An Obama administration official said Wednesday that Syria's government, led by President Bashar al-Assad's regime, is losing control of the country, citing a bombing that killed Syria's defense minister and two of Assad's associates. U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, speaking about escalated violence in the capital Damascus, agreed that the situation is "out of control." Meanwhile, Washington has unveiled new sanctions against Syrian government officials and businesses tied to the country's biological and chemical weapons program.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week