An Obama administration official said Wednesday that Syria's government, led by President Bashar al-Assad's regime, is losing control of the country, citing a bombing that killed Syria's defense minister and two of Assad's associates. U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, speaking about escalated violence in the capital Damascus, agreed that the situation is "out of control." Meanwhile, Washington has unveiled new sanctions against Syrian government officials and businesses tied to the country's biological and chemical weapons program.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
Subscribe to the Week