n Obama administration official said Wednesday that Syria's government, led by President Bashar al-Assad's regime, is losing control of the country, citing a bombing that killed Syria's defense minister and two of Assad's associates. U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, speaking about escalated violence in the capital Damascus, agreed that the situation is "out of control." Meanwhile, Washington has unveiled new sanctions against Syrian government officials and businesses tied to the country's biological and chemical weapons program.
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How Arrow became the best superhero show on television
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
- Millennial women have seriously narrowed the wage gap with men
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
Subscribe to the Week