An Obama administration official said Wednesday that Syria's government, led by President Bashar al-Assad's regime, is losing control of the country, citing a bombing that killed Syria's defense minister and two of Assad's associates. U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, speaking about escalated violence in the capital Damascus, agreed that the situation is "out of control." Meanwhile, Washington has unveiled new sanctions against Syrian government officials and businesses tied to the country's biological and chemical weapons program.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- In defense of family dinner
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
Subscribe to the Week