An Obama administration official said Wednesday that Syria's government, led by President Bashar al-Assad's regime, is losing control of the country, citing a bombing that killed Syria's defense minister and two of Assad's associates. U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, speaking about escalated violence in the capital Damascus, agreed that the situation is "out of control." Meanwhile, Washington has unveiled new sanctions against Syrian government officials and businesses tied to the country's biological and chemical weapons program.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- You're reheating pizza wrong
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week