yrian President Bashar al-Assad has fled Damascus following a bombing that killed three of his top security chiefs, opposition sources said Thursday. Assad reportedly plans to direct his regime's response to the bombing from the safety of a palace in the coastal stronghold of his ruling Alawite minority. The Obama administration says Assad appears to be losing control as the Free Syrian Army continues an offensive on the heart of the regime's power in the capital. The whereabouts of Assad's wife, Asma, remained unknown, but she was rumored to have fled to Russia.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week