yrian President Bashar al-Assad has fled Damascus following a bombing that killed three of his top security chiefs, opposition sources said Thursday. Assad reportedly plans to direct his regime's response to the bombing from the safety of a palace in the coastal stronghold of his ruling Alawite minority. The Obama administration says Assad appears to be losing control as the Free Syrian Army continues an offensive on the heart of the regime's power in the capital. The whereabouts of Assad's wife, Asma, remained unknown, but she was rumored to have fled to Russia.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Here are the people who want to take a one way trip to Mars
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week