ames Holmes, 24, the suspect in the mass shooting at a suburban Denver theater screening the Batman film The Dark Knight Rises, reportedly had colored his hair red and told police that he was "the Joker," a seeming reference to the Batman villain with dyed hair. Twelve people died and at least 50 others were injured in the shooting in Aurora, Colo., early Friday morning. Holmes also told police of possible explosives in his residence, which authorities have described as elaborately "booby-trapped" with incendiary and chemical devices, leading to the evacuation of his apartment building. Police recovered four guns at the theater, including two pistols, a 12-gauge shotgun, and an AR-15 rifle. The alleged gunman is a former neuroscience PhD candidate at the University of Colorado, which says Holmes recently dropped out of the program. The suspect's motive remains unclear. At this point, there is no indication the act is terrorism-related. Holmes is scheduled to appear in an Arapahoe County, Colo., courtroom Monday morning.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week