James Holmes, 24, the suspect in the mass shooting at a suburban Denver theater screening the Batman film The Dark Knight Rises, reportedly had colored his hair red and told police that he was "the Joker," a seeming reference to the Batman villain with dyed hair. Twelve people died and at least 50 others were injured in the shooting in Aurora, Colo., early Friday morning. Holmes also told police of possible explosives in his residence, which authorities have described as elaborately "booby-trapped" with incendiary and chemical devices, leading to the evacuation of his apartment building. Police recovered four guns at the theater, including two pistols, a 12-gauge shotgun, and an AR-15 rifle. The alleged gunman is a former neuroscience PhD candidate at the University of Colorado, which says Holmes recently dropped out of the program. The suspect's motive remains unclear. At this point, there is no indication the act is terrorism-related. Holmes is scheduled to appear in an Arapahoe County, Colo., courtroom Monday morning.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week