James Holmes, 24, the suspect in the mass shooting at a suburban Denver theater screening the Batman film The Dark Knight Rises, reportedly had colored his hair red and told police that he was "the Joker," a seeming reference to the Batman villain with dyed hair. Twelve people died and at least 50 others were injured in the shooting in Aurora, Colo., early Friday morning. Holmes also told police of possible explosives in his residence, which authorities have described as elaborately "booby-trapped" with incendiary and chemical devices, leading to the evacuation of his apartment building. Police recovered four guns at the theater, including two pistols, a 12-gauge shotgun, and an AR-15 rifle. The alleged gunman is a former neuroscience PhD candidate at the University of Colorado, which says Holmes recently dropped out of the program. The suspect's motive remains unclear. At this point, there is no indication the act is terrorism-related. Holmes is scheduled to appear in an Arapahoe County, Colo., courtroom Monday morning.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week