James Holmes, 24, the suspect in the mass shooting at a suburban Denver theater screening the Batman film The Dark Knight Rises, reportedly had colored his hair red and told police that he was "the Joker," a seeming reference to the Batman villain with dyed hair. Twelve people died and at least 50 others were injured in the shooting in Aurora, Colo., early Friday morning. Holmes also told police of possible explosives in his residence, which authorities have described as elaborately "booby-trapped" with incendiary and chemical devices, leading to the evacuation of his apartment building. Police recovered four guns at the theater, including two pistols, a 12-gauge shotgun, and an AR-15 rifle. The alleged gunman is a former neuroscience PhD candidate at the University of Colorado, which says Holmes recently dropped out of the program. The suspect's motive remains unclear. At this point, there is no indication the act is terrorism-related. Holmes is scheduled to appear in an Arapahoe County, Colo., courtroom Monday morning.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Why America needs more billionaires
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week