n Friday, the United Nations Security Council unanimously voted to extend the observer mission in Syria by 30 days. Fighting between Syrian troops and rebels escalated this week following a rebel bombing on Wednesday that rattled the military regime and claimed the life of national security chief Gen. Hisham Ikhtiyar. The bombing was a "resounding blow" to President Assad, whose government is struggling to regain momentum.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 8, 2014
Subscribe to the Week