On Friday, the United Nations Security Council unanimously voted to extend the observer mission in Syria by 30 days. Fighting between Syrian troops and rebels escalated this week following a rebel bombing on Wednesday that rattled the military regime and claimed the life of national security chief Gen. Hisham Ikhtiyar. The bombing was a "resounding blow" to President Assad, whose government is struggling to regain momentum.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- The fascinating political evolution of Paul Ryan
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 10 things you need to know today: August 21, 2014
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
Subscribe to the Week