On Friday, the United Nations Security Council unanimously voted to extend the observer mission in Syria by 30 days. Fighting between Syrian troops and rebels escalated this week following a rebel bombing on Wednesday that rattled the military regime and claimed the life of national security chief Gen. Hisham Ikhtiyar. The bombing was a "resounding blow" to President Assad, whose government is struggling to regain momentum.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week