GOOD DAY FOR:
Spicing up the Olympics
The Spice Girls will reportedly perform at the London Olympics' closing ceremony. [New York]
A medieval support system
A bra from the 15th century is unearthed during reconstruction work at a medieval castle in Austria. The discovery is now arguably the world's oldest known brassiere. [Discovery News]
Outsmarting the bad guys
Endangered gorillas in Rwanda figure out how to dismantle poachers' traps to avoid death. [Jezebel]
BAD DAY FOR:
Sensitivity in tweeting
The National Rifle Association sends out a morning tweet following the Colorado movie theater shooting that says, "Good morning, shooters. Happy Friday!" and deletes it shortly afterwards, without acknowledging its misstep. [Politicker]
Withdrawing some pounds
The influx of tourists in London during the Olympic season causes massive lines at ATMs around the city, with many of the machines running out of cash. [Consumerist]
Taking a beating
An Indiana GOP branch removes an Obama punching bag, which featured a cartoon of the president's likeness with a black eye and the words "Vote Republican," from a county fair following complaints. [Opposing Views]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: July 19, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Why we gossip, according to science
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week