With the help of a robot, bomb experts in Aurora, Colo., have successfully disarmed and removed all explosives from the "booby-trapped" apartment of James Holmes, the alleged gunman in The Dark Knight Rises shootings, which left 12 dead and over 50 people injured. Authorities say the unit, outfitted with trip wires and explosives, was rigged to kill the first person who opened the front door, presumably a police officer. The police say they hope to let the people who were evacuated from Holmes' building and neighboring complexes to return to their homes starting Sunday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week