Sony, Fox, Disney, Universal, Fox, Paramount, and Lionsgate banded together with Warner Bros. — the distributor of The Dark Knight Rises — in delaying the release of weekend box office numbers until Monday, out of respect for the victim's of Friday's movie theater shooting in Aurora, Colo. The film is expected to be among the most lucrative movie openings and could possibly contend with the record $207.4 million brought in by The Avengers.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Why insects are the future of food
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week