Sony, Fox, Disney, Universal, Fox, Paramount, and Lionsgate banded together with Warner Bros. — the distributor of The Dark Knight Rises — in delaying the release of weekend box office numbers until Monday, out of respect for the victim's of Friday's movie theater shooting in Aurora, Colo. The film is expected to be among the most lucrative movie openings and could possibly contend with the record $207.4 million brought in by The Avengers.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- Why America needs more billionaires
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- 6 simple steps for making millions on a crappy horror movie
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week