Sony, Fox, Disney, Universal, Fox, Paramount, and Lionsgate banded together with Warner Bros. — the distributor of The Dark Knight Rises — in delaying the release of weekend box office numbers until Monday, out of respect for the victim's of Friday's movie theater shooting in Aurora, Colo. The film is expected to be among the most lucrative movie openings and could possibly contend with the record $207.4 million brought in by The Avengers.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
Subscribe to the Week