Syrian opposition forces are battling government forces in Aleppo, Syria's largest city, after seizing some of the country's border crossings with Turkey and Iraq. The escalating conflict has caused thousands to flee to neighboring countries. Rebels have already gained control of three neighborhoods in Aleppo, and government forces intensified shelling of the city, Al Jazeera television reported.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- How collaborative innovation led to the experimental serum for Ebola
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- 10 things you need to know today: August 22, 2014
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week