The heaviest rains to hit Beijing in more than six decades have killed 10 people and forced the evacuation of some 50,000 others. More than 80,000 travelers are also stranded, as Beijing's international airport has canceled hundreds of flights. An average of 17 centimeters (6.6 inches) of rain has falling, but in some areas the deluge has amounted to about 46 centimeters (18 inches).
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How to make any veggie burger without a recipe
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week