The heaviest rains to hit Beijing in more than six decades have killed 10 people and forced the evacuation of some 50,000 others. More than 80,000 travelers are also stranded, as Beijing's international airport has canceled hundreds of flights. An average of 17 centimeters (6.6 inches) of rain has falling, but in some areas the deluge has amounted to about 46 centimeters (18 inches).
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week