he heaviest rains to hit Beijing in more than six decades have killed 10 people and forced the evacuation of some 50,000 others. More than 80,000 travelers are also stranded, as Beijing's international airport has canceled hundreds of flights. An average of 17 centimeters (6.6 inches) of rain has falling, but in some areas the deluge has amounted to about 46 centimeters (18 inches).
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza's dad: 'I wish he'd never been born'
Subscribe to the Week