The heaviest rains to hit Beijing in more than six decades have killed 10 people and forced the evacuation of some 50,000 others. More than 80,000 travelers are also stranded, as Beijing's international airport has canceled hundreds of flights. An average of 17 centimeters (6.6 inches) of rain has falling, but in some areas the deluge has amounted to about 46 centimeters (18 inches).
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- Boyhood's refreshingly unsentimental take on motherhood
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
Subscribe to the Week