Appearing for the first time in court, 24-year-old James Holmes, who was arrested for allegedly killing 12 people and injuring 58 others at an Aurora, Colo., movie theater on Friday morning, appeared in court with reddish orange hair. Holmes had reportedly dyed his hair so he would resemble the Joker from the Batman series. He appeared "wide-eyed and unshaven," and closed his eyes at one point as the judge spoke. Police say although Holmes surrendered to police on Friday, he is now refusing to cooperate, so it could take months to learn what prompted his alleged attack at a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises. Holmes is being held in solitary confinement.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week