Appearing for the first time in court, 24-year-old James Holmes, who was arrested for allegedly killing 12 people and injuring 58 others at an Aurora, Colo., movie theater on Friday morning, appeared in court with reddish orange hair. Holmes had reportedly dyed his hair so he would resemble the Joker from the Batman series. He appeared "wide-eyed and unshaven," and closed his eyes at one point as the judge spoke. Police say although Holmes surrendered to police on Friday, he is now refusing to cooperate, so it could take months to learn what prompted his alleged attack at a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises. Holmes is being held in solitary confinement.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
Subscribe to the Week