Appearing for the first time in court, 24-year-old James Holmes, who was arrested for allegedly killing 12 people and injuring 58 others at an Aurora, Colo., movie theater on Friday morning, appeared in court with reddish orange hair. Holmes had reportedly dyed his hair so he would resemble the Joker from the Batman series. He appeared "wide-eyed and unshaven," and closed his eyes at one point as the judge spoke. Police say although Holmes surrendered to police on Friday, he is now refusing to cooperate, so it could take months to learn what prompted his alleged attack at a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises. Holmes is being held in solitary confinement.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 400,000 Americans marched for climate justice. Now what?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
Subscribe to the Week