Appearing for the first time in court, 24-year-old James Holmes, who was arrested for allegedly killing 12 people and injuring 58 others at an Aurora, Colo., movie theater on Friday morning, appeared in court with reddish orange hair. Holmes had reportedly dyed his hair so he would resemble the Joker from the Batman series. He appeared "wide-eyed and unshaven," and closed his eyes at one point as the judge spoke. Police say although Holmes surrendered to police on Friday, he is now refusing to cooperate, so it could take months to learn what prompted his alleged attack at a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises. Holmes is being held in solitary confinement.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
Subscribe to the Week