Appearing for the first time in court, 24-year-old James Holmes, who was arrested for allegedly killing 12 people and injuring 58 others at an Aurora, Colo., movie theater on Friday morning, appeared in court with reddish orange hair. Holmes had reportedly dyed his hair so he would resemble the Joker from the Batman series. He appeared "wide-eyed and unshaven," and closed his eyes at one point as the judge spoke. Police say although Holmes surrendered to police on Friday, he is now refusing to cooperate, so it could take months to learn what prompted his alleged attack at a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises. Holmes is being held in solitary confinement.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- A trick for better lunch sandwiches
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
- Russia's new air force is a mystery
- When it comes to ISIS, our Congress is full of cowards
Subscribe to the Week