t's official: Mariah Carey will join the 12th season of American Idol as a judge. Fox President Kevin Reilly made the announcement Monday during the Television Critics Association press tour, bringing the 42-year-old pop diva on via speaker phone. "I'm so excited to be joining Idol," she said, "I can't wait to get started." Carey had been a leading contender to fill one of the spots recently left vacant by Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler. Her salary is expected to be somewhere north of $12 million — the sum paid to Jennifer Lopez during her first year on the show — and possibly as high as $17 million.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
Subscribe to the Week