t's official: Mariah Carey will join the 12th season of American Idol as a judge. Fox President Kevin Reilly made the announcement Monday during the Television Critics Association press tour, bringing the 42-year-old pop diva on via speaker phone. "I'm so excited to be joining Idol," she said, "I can't wait to get started." Carey had been a leading contender to fill one of the spots recently left vacant by Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler. Her salary is expected to be somewhere north of $12 million — the sum paid to Jennifer Lopez during her first year on the show — and possibly as high as $17 million.
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- The secrets of happy families
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Did God have a wife?
- Would you cuddle a stranger for $80 an hour?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why Newt Gingrich is getting flak for defending Nelson Mandela
- The emerging budget deal is a small victory for Republicans
- Why Republicans shouldn't get too excited over Obama's stumbles
Subscribe to the Week