It's official: Mariah Carey will join the 12th season of American Idol as a judge. Fox President Kevin Reilly made the announcement Monday during the Television Critics Association press tour, bringing the 42-year-old pop diva on via speaker phone. "I'm so excited to be joining Idol," she said, "I can't wait to get started." Carey had been a leading contender to fill one of the spots recently left vacant by Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler. Her salary is expected to be somewhere north of $12 million — the sum paid to Jennifer Lopez during her first year on the show — and possibly as high as $17 million.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
Subscribe to the Week