It's official: Mariah Carey will join the 12th season of American Idol as a judge. Fox President Kevin Reilly made the announcement Monday during the Television Critics Association press tour, bringing the 42-year-old pop diva on via speaker phone. "I'm so excited to be joining Idol," she said, "I can't wait to get started." Carey had been a leading contender to fill one of the spots recently left vacant by Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler. Her salary is expected to be somewhere north of $12 million — the sum paid to Jennifer Lopez during her first year on the show — and possibly as high as $17 million.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of family dinner
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
Subscribe to the Week