t's official: Mariah Carey will join the 12th season of American Idol as a judge. Fox President Kevin Reilly made the announcement Monday during the Television Critics Association press tour, bringing the 42-year-old pop diva on via speaker phone. "I'm so excited to be joining Idol," she said, "I can't wait to get started." Carey had been a leading contender to fill one of the spots recently left vacant by Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler. Her salary is expected to be somewhere north of $12 million — the sum paid to Jennifer Lopez during her first year on the show — and possibly as high as $17 million.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week