On Tuesday, the Syrian regime said that foreign media had misinterpreted comments made by spokesman Jihad Makdissi, regarding Syria's threat to use chemical weapons against outside aggressors. Officials in Washington say the statement is the most "direct confirmation" yet that Syria has an arsenal of unconventional arms, but the regime insists that the comments were not meant as a "declaration of possessing non-traditional weapons." According to the rebel Free Syrian Army, regime forces recently moved their stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- The fascinating political evolution of Paul Ryan
- 10 things you need to know today: August 21, 2014
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- The real lesson of Rick Perry's mug shot
Subscribe to the Week