In advance of Friday's opening ceremony, the British government has decided to deploy an additional 1,200 troops to protect Olympic venues because, it says, the security contractor has failed to supply an adequate number of guards. That brings the grand total of British military personnel involved in Olympic security to 18,200. By comparison, there are 9,500 British troops in Afghanistan.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 10 things you need to know today: July 29, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
Subscribe to the Week