In advance of Friday's opening ceremony, the British government has decided to deploy an additional 1,200 troops to protect Olympic venues because, it says, the security contractor has failed to supply an adequate number of guards. That brings the grand total of British military personnel involved in Olympic security to 18,200. By comparison, there are 9,500 British troops in Afghanistan.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 16 characters from other languages that make great emoticons
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week