In advance of Friday's opening ceremony, the British government has decided to deploy an additional 1,200 troops to protect Olympic venues because, it says, the security contractor has failed to supply an adequate number of guards. That brings the grand total of British military personnel involved in Olympic security to 18,200. By comparison, there are 9,500 British troops in Afghanistan.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
Subscribe to the Week