A law enforcement official says the apartment of Colorado's Dark Knight Rises shooting suspect James Holmes was rigged with more than 30 homemade grenades and 10 gallons of gasoline to "enhance the thermal effect of the explosion." The official says the setup resembled those often found in Afghanistan and Iraq. Meanwhile, three men have been arrested in separate incidents for threats they made related to the Aurora, Colo., shootings. One of them, a Southern California man, was arrested after witnesses said he made threats and alluded to the Colorado massacre while he was in a theater waiting to see the film, which had failed to start.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
Subscribe to the Week