pple on Tuesday reported a net income of $8.8 billion for the third quarter of 2012, up from $7.3 billion the previous year. However, the report did not meet investors' outsized expectations, and Apple's share price fell slightly in after-hours trading. While iPhone sales increased 28 percent from last year, sales slowed as customers held off on buying phones in anticipation of the new iPhone, which is set to be unveiled in the fall. Apple's iPad had a strong quarter, bringing in revenue of $9.2 billion, up from $6.1 billion in 2011.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- Entrepreneurs: A dying breed?
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Why would a young person today be religious?
Subscribe to the Week