pple on Tuesday reported a net income of $8.8 billion for the third quarter of 2012, up from $7.3 billion the previous year. However, the report did not meet investors' outsized expectations, and Apple's share price fell slightly in after-hours trading. While iPhone sales increased 28 percent from last year, sales slowed as customers held off on buying phones in anticipation of the new iPhone, which is set to be unveiled in the fall. Apple's iPad had a strong quarter, bringing in revenue of $9.2 billion, up from $6.1 billion in 2011.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Pics or it didn't happen: Millennials are a bunch of selfie-loving skeptics
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
Subscribe to the Week