The mystery woman who's been accompanying North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in recent weeks is, it turns out, his wife. The mystery woman was first thought to be Kim's "long-lost sister," then a singer known for hits such as "Excellent Horse-like Lady." Now she has been identified by Korean state media as one Ri Sol Ju, though it's unclear when the couple was married and, since little is known about her, she still qualifies as a "mystery." By appearing in public with her, the relatively enlightened young Kim is further distancing himself from his father, who was never seen with his wife.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
Subscribe to the Week