The mystery woman who's been accompanying North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in recent weeks is, it turns out, his wife. The mystery woman was first thought to be Kim's "long-lost sister," then a singer known for hits such as "Excellent Horse-like Lady." Now she has been identified by Korean state media as one Ri Sol Ju, though it's unclear when the couple was married and, since little is known about her, she still qualifies as a "mystery." By appearing in public with her, the relatively enlightened young Kim is further distancing himself from his father, who was never seen with his wife.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The world is on fire and neither Democrats or Republicans have a clue
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Russia's new air force is a mystery
Subscribe to the Week