The mystery woman who's been accompanying North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in recent weeks is, it turns out, his wife. The mystery woman was first thought to be Kim's "long-lost sister," then a singer known for hits such as "Excellent Horse-like Lady." Now she has been identified by Korean state media as one Ri Sol Ju, though it's unclear when the couple was married and, since little is known about her, she still qualifies as a "mystery." By appearing in public with her, the relatively enlightened young Kim is further distancing himself from his father, who was never seen with his wife.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
Subscribe to the Week