Alleged Aurora gunman James Holmes mailed a notebook "full of details about how he was going to kill people" to a University of Colorado psychiatrist before the July 20 attack that left 12 dead and 58 injured. The package apparently remained unopened in a mailroom for as long as a week before it was discovered Monday. "There were drawings of what he was going to do in it — drawings and illustrations of the massacre," a law enforcement source told Fox News. The sketches in the notebook, which is now in the possession of the FBI, included a stick figure shooting at other stick figures. It's not yet known whether Holmes had ever contacted the psychiatrist before sending the package.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
Subscribe to the Week