GOOD DAY FOR:
Three little bears
A couple rescues three bear cubs from a dumpster they were trapped in. [BuzzFeed]
A 60-year-old man becomes a father, grandfather, and great-grandfather in the span of three months when his wife, daughter, and granddaughter all give birth to boys. [The Daily What]
Showing some skin
Despite a new rule that lets relatively modest female Olympic volleyball players compete in shorts and T-shirts instead of the standard bikini uniform, the U.S. team vows to continue to spike in bikinis. [Jezebel]
BAD DAY FOR:
An angry driver tries to run over a pedestrian because he "didn't like the plaid jacket he was wearing." [Newser]
A customer at London's Playboy Club drops and shatters a $77,000 bottle of scotch, one of the world's most expensive bottles of liquor. [Death & Taxes]
A plane carrying a "Will you marry me?" banner takes a nosedive and crashes off the coast of Rhode Island. [TIME]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: July 25, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week