audi Arabia's female judo competitor, Wodjan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shaherkani, will compete in the women's heavyweight tournament without a hijab. According to International Judo Federation president Marius Vizer, fighting without a hijab is in accordance with "the principle and spirit of judo," although the decision is likely to cause controversy in the conservative Muslim kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- SNL tackles Vladimir Putin's Ukraine invasion, politically and personally
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week