audi Arabia's female judo competitor, Wodjan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shaherkani, will compete in the women's heavyweight tournament without a hijab. According to International Judo Federation president Marius Vizer, fighting without a hijab is in accordance with "the principle and spirit of judo," although the decision is likely to cause controversy in the conservative Muslim kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week