The start of the women's soccer competition was overshadowed by an error when organizers accidentally displayed the flag of South Korea instead of that of North Korea on the scoreboard before the start of the game. Outraged, the North Korean team left the field in protest, and even considered withdrawing from the tournament before they ultimately decided to take the field and play their game against Colombia.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- 7 bizarre tales of people coming back from the dead
Subscribe to the Week