The start of the women's soccer competition was overshadowed by an error when organizers accidentally displayed the flag of South Korea instead of that of North Korea on the scoreboard before the start of the game. Outraged, the North Korean team left the field in protest, and even considered withdrawing from the tournament before they ultimately decided to take the field and play their game against Colombia.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- What's wrong with Europe’s economy?
Subscribe to the Week