ells rang out across Britain on Friday as the country began the final countdown to the Olympic Games, which will open with "an exuberant and eccentric ceremony celebrating the nation in an explosion of dance, music, and fireworks inspired by Shakespeare's Tempest." The opening festivities were created by Oscar-winning Slumdog Millionaire director Danny Boyle, and will takes spectators "on a journey from Britain's idyllic countryside through the grime of the Industrial Revolution and ending in an explosion of pop culture."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week