ells rang out across Britain on Friday as the country began the final countdown to the Olympic Games, which will open with "an exuberant and eccentric ceremony celebrating the nation in an explosion of dance, music, and fireworks inspired by Shakespeare's Tempest." The opening festivities were created by Oscar-winning Slumdog Millionaire director Danny Boyle, and will takes spectators "on a journey from Britain's idyllic countryside through the grime of the Industrial Revolution and ending in an explosion of pop culture."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Captain America won over China
Subscribe to the Week