ells rang out across Britain on Friday as the country began the final countdown to the Olympic Games, which will open with "an exuberant and eccentric ceremony celebrating the nation in an explosion of dance, music, and fireworks inspired by Shakespeare's Tempest." The opening festivities were created by Oscar-winning Slumdog Millionaire director Danny Boyle, and will takes spectators "on a journey from Britain's idyllic countryside through the grime of the Industrial Revolution and ending in an explosion of pop culture."
- The secrets of happy families
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Would you cuddle a stranger for $80 an hour?
- Did God have a wife?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why Republicans shouldn't get too excited over Obama's stumbles
- Why Newt Gingrich is getting flak for defending Nelson Mandela
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
Subscribe to the Week