ells rang out across Britain on Friday as the country began the final countdown to the Olympic Games, which will open with "an exuberant and eccentric ceremony celebrating the nation in an explosion of dance, music, and fireworks inspired by Shakespeare's Tempest." The opening festivities were created by Oscar-winning Slumdog Millionaire director Danny Boyle, and will take spectators "on a journey from Britain's idyllic countryside through the grime of the Industrial Revolution and ending in an explosion of pop culture."
- The secrets of happy families
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- Did God have a wife?
- Why Republicans shouldn't get too excited over Obama's stumbles
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Would you cuddle a stranger for $80 an hour?
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
Subscribe to the Week