ells rang out across Britain on Friday as the country began the final countdown to the Olympic Games, which will open with "an exuberant and eccentric ceremony celebrating the nation in an explosion of dance, music, and fireworks inspired by Shakespeare's Tempest." The opening festivities were created by Oscar-winning Slumdog Millionaire director Danny Boyle, and will take spectators "on a journey from Britain's idyllic countryside through the grime of the Industrial Revolution and ending in an explosion of pop culture."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week