OOD DAY FOR:
Director Robert Rodriguez reveals on Twitter that Lady Gaga will make her big-screen acting debut in his upcoming film Machete Kills. [The Daily]
Reaching crustacean retirement age
A Connecticut man pays big bucks to save a lobster — estimated to be 70 to 100 years old — from being boiled for dinner. [Discovery News]
Appropriate baby names
The Smithsonian National Zoo in Washington, D.C., announces that it will name a pair of baby cheetah cubs after the fastest American Olympians in the 100-meter dash. [BuzzFeed]
BAD DAY FOR:
Madonna is booed by fans in Paris who demand a refund after she performs a fleeting 45-minute set. [Newser]
A new study finds that music today is louder and far less diverse in terms of chords and melodies than it was 50 years ago. [Business Insider]
Less than a week after a gunman massacres a dozen people in a dark movie theater, comedian Dane Cook offends fans by making a tasteless joke about the Aurora shooting in his stand-up act. [The Daily What]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: July 26, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week