GOOD DAY FOR:
Director Robert Rodriguez reveals on Twitter that Lady Gaga will make her big-screen acting debut in his upcoming film Machete Kills. [The Daily]
Reaching crustacean retirement age
A Connecticut man pays big bucks to save a lobster — estimated to be 70 to 100 years old — from being boiled for dinner. [Discovery News]
Appropriate baby names
The Smithsonian National Zoo in Washington, D.C., announces that it will name a pair of baby cheetah cubs after the fastest American Olympians in the 100-meter dash. [BuzzFeed]
BAD DAY FOR:
Madonna is booed by fans in Paris who demand a refund after she performs a fleeting 45-minute set. [Newser]
A new study finds that music today is louder and far less diverse in terms of chords and melodies than it was 50 years ago. [Business Insider]
Less than a week after a gunman massacres a dozen people in a dark movie theater, comedian Dane Cook offends fans by making a tasteless joke about the Aurora shooting in his stand-up act. [The Daily What]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: July 26, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
Subscribe to the Week