GOOD DAY FOR:
Director Robert Rodriguez reveals on Twitter that Lady Gaga will make her big-screen acting debut in his upcoming film Machete Kills. [The Daily]
Reaching crustacean retirement age
A Connecticut man pays big bucks to save a lobster — estimated to be 70 to 100 years old — from being boiled for dinner. [Discovery News]
Appropriate baby names
The Smithsonian National Zoo in Washington, D.C., announces that it will name a pair of baby cheetah cubs after the fastest American Olympians in the 100-meter dash. [BuzzFeed]
BAD DAY FOR:
Madonna is booed by fans in Paris who demand a refund after she performs a fleeting 45-minute set. [Newser]
A new study finds that music today is louder and far less diverse in terms of chords and melodies than it was 50 years ago. [Business Insider]
Less than a week after a gunman massacres a dozen people in a dark movie theater, comedian Dane Cook offends fans by making a tasteless joke about the Aurora shooting in his stand-up act. [The Daily What]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: July 26, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week