olice in Maryland say they have arrested 28-year-old Neil Prescott of Crofton, Md., after he allegedly made threats to his employer, office supply company Pitney Bowes, in two phone calls on Monday. Prescott was apparently upset about losing his job and reportedly said, "I am the real Joker, and I'm going to blow everyone up" — referring to the villain in the Batman comics. Law enforcement officials are taking the threats very seriously in light of the shooting in Aurora, Colo., last week that left 12 dead as they watched the Christopher Nolan Batman film, The Dark Knight Rises. Numerous guns were also recovered from Prescott's apartment. Julie Parker, a spokeswoman for the Prince George's County police, said Friday that authorities had "thwarted a terrorist threat."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week