olice in Maryland say they have arrested 28-year-old Neil Prescott of Crofton, Md., after he allegedly made threats to his employer, office supply company Pitney Bowes, in two phone calls on Monday. Prescott was apparently upset about losing his job and reportedly said, "I am the real Joker, and I'm going to blow everyone up" — referring to the villain in the Batman comics. Law enforcement officials are taking the threats very seriously in light of the shooting in Aurora, Colo., last week that left 12 dead as they watched the Christopher Nolan Batman film, The Dark Knight Rises. Numerous guns were also recovered from Prescott's apartment. Julie Parker, a spokeswoman for the Prince George's County police, said Friday that authorities had "thwarted a terrorist threat."
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- The secrets of happy families
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
- The U.S. auto bailout is officially over. Here's what America lost and gained.
- 9 negative effects divorce reportedly has on children
- 7 enduring lessons from It's a Wonderful Life
Subscribe to the Week