resident Obama on Friday signed legislation intended to strengthen American military ties with Israel, as he sought to affirm his steadfast support for our longtime ally. The bill contains nearly $70 million to fund an Israeli short-range missile shield known as "Iron Dome." Obama signed the bill on the eve of a visit to Israel by Mitt Romney, who has questioned Obama's commitment to Israel. Romney is in the midst of an international tour designed to bolster his national security credentials, but he stumbled badly on the first leg in London, where he was blasted by British officials and newspapers for questioning the city's preparedness for the Olympic Games.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
Subscribe to the Week