Mere hours after the London Olympics officially kicked off with a lavish Opening Ceremony, China's Yi Siling became the games' first gold medal winner, emerging victorious in the women's 10-meter air rifle shooting event. Poland's Sylwia Bogacka won the silver, and China's Dan Yu took bronze.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
Subscribe to the Week