Mere hours after the London Olympics officially kicked off with a lavish Opening Ceremony, China's Yi Siling became the games' first gold medal winner, emerging victorious in the women's 10-meter air rifle shooting event. Poland's Sylwia Bogacka won the silver, and China's Dan Yu took bronze.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week