American swimmer Ryan Lochte easily won the gold in Saturday's 400-meter individual medley, finishing more than three seconds ahead of silver medalist Thiago Pereira (Brazil) and bronze medalist Kosuke Hagino (Japan). American swimming legend Michael Phelps, who had medaled in his last 16 Olympic races, and won gold in 14 of them, finished fourth, and only barely managed to make the final race at all after struggling in the morning's preliminary swim.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- How to live a long life, according to science
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
Subscribe to the Week