merican swimmer Ryan Lochte easily won the gold in Saturday's 400-meter individual medley, finishing more than three seconds ahead of silver medalist Thiago Pereira (Brazil) and bronze medalist Kosuke Hagino (Japan). American swimming legend Michael Phelps, who had medaled in his last 16 Olympic races, and won gold in 14 of them, finished fourth, and only barely managed to make the final race at all after struggling in the morning's preliminary swim.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week