American swimmer Ryan Lochte easily won the gold in Saturday's 400-meter individual medley, finishing more than three seconds ahead of silver medalist Thiago Pereira (Brazil) and bronze medalist Kosuke Hagino (Japan). American swimming legend Michael Phelps, who had medaled in his last 16 Olympic races, and won gold in 14 of them, finished fourth, and only barely managed to make the final race at all after struggling in the morning's preliminary swim.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
Subscribe to the Week