According to people briefed on the matter, Apple has talked with Twitter in recent months to discuss making a strategic investment in the social media company. While Apple has had huge success selling its smartphones and tablets, it has made little headway in the social networking arena, "which has become a major engine of activity on the web and on mobile devices." Apple is reportedly considering an investment in the hundreds of millions of dollars, one that could value Twitter at more than $10 billion, up from an $8.4 billion valuation last year.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- How to live a long life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week