On Sunday, American swimmer Dana Vollmer won the gold medal in the women's 100-meter butterfly, and with a time of 55.98 seconds, nabbed the world record, which had previously stood at 56.06 seconds. "I'm on top of the world right now," Vollmer said. "I still know I can go faster."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How I lost all my money
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- How computers will replace your doctor
Subscribe to the Week