On Sunday, American swimmer Dana Vollmer won the gold medal in the women's 100-meter butterfly, and with a time of 55.98 seconds, nabbed the world record, which had previously stood at 56.06 seconds. "I'm on top of the world right now," Vollmer said. "I still know I can go faster."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to deep fry a turkey
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to stop Black Thursday — and still score that big screen
Subscribe to the Week