On Sunday, American swimmer Dana Vollmer won the gold medal in the women's 100-meter butterfly, and with a time of 55.98 seconds, nabbed the world record, which had previously stood at 56.06 seconds. "I'm on top of the world right now," Vollmer said. "I still know I can go faster."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- How to live a long life, according to science
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
Subscribe to the Week