On Monday morning, Colorado prosecutors are expected to formally charge James Holmes in the Aurora theater shooting that left 12 dead and 58 wounded. The case is expected to be dominated by arguments over Holmes' sanity. "This is not a whodunit," says Craig Silverman, who served as a chief deputy district attorney in Denver. "The only possible defense is insanity."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Paul Allen's 'bitter' Bill-Gates-bashing memoir
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
Subscribe to the Week