On Monday morning, Colorado prosecutors are expected to formally charge James Holmes in the Aurora theater shooting that left 12 dead and 58 wounded. The case is expected to be dominated by arguments over Holmes' sanity. "This is not a whodunit," says Craig Silverman, who served as a chief deputy district attorney in Denver. "The only possible defense is insanity."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week