James Eagan Holmes was charged Monday with 24 counts of first-degree murder in the Aurora, Colo., movie theater shooting that killed 12 people and injured 58 others. Colorado prosecutors also filed 116 counts of attempted murder against the 24-year-old ex-neuroscience student. Holmes, who is not expected to enter pleas today, "appeared just as dazed as he did in his first court appearance last week, but at one point exchanged a few words with one of his attorneys in the packed courtroom."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: August 29, 2014
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- When it comes to ISIS, our Congress is full of cowards
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week