James Eagan Holmes was charged Monday with 24 counts of first-degree murder in the Aurora, Colo., movie theater shooting that killed 12 people and injured 58 others. Colorado prosecutors also filed 116 counts of attempted murder against the 24-year-old ex-neuroscience student. Holmes, who is not expected to enter pleas today, "appeared just as dazed as he did in his first court appearance last week, but at one point exchanged a few words with one of his attorneys in the packed courtroom."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
Subscribe to the Week