James Eagan Holmes was charged Monday with 24 counts of first-degree murder in the Aurora, Colo., movie theater shooting that killed 12 people and injured 58 others. Colorado prosecutors also filed 116 counts of attempted murder against the 24-year-old ex-neuroscience student. Holmes, who is not expected to enter pleas today, "appeared just as dazed as he did in his first court appearance last week, but at one point exchanged a few words with one of his attorneys in the packed courtroom."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week