James Eagan Holmes was charged Monday with 24 counts of first-degree murder in the Aurora, Colo., movie theater shooting that killed 12 people and injured 58 others. Colorado prosecutors also filed 116 counts of attempted murder against the 24-year-old ex-neuroscience student. Holmes, who is not expected to enter pleas today, "appeared just as dazed as he did in his first court appearance last week, but at one point exchanged a few words with one of his attorneys in the packed courtroom."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Why we gossip, according to science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week