After finishing first in the qualifying round, the favored U.S. men's gymnastics team fell victim to nerves and finished fifth in the finals. China took gold. And in a strange scoring snafu, the silver and bronze medals were a matter of dispute for several minutes. Great Britain was originally announced as the silver medalist, and Ukraine was to take the bronze. But in an unprecedented move, the medal order was changed 15 minutes later. The Japanese team took silver after successfully disputing Kohei Uchimera's pommel horse score, which was then revised. As a result, Great Britain took bronze and Ukraine was bumped out of the medal race.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The queen of Tupperware
- How to be charismatic, according to science
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
Subscribe to the Week