After finishing first in the qualifying round, the favored U.S. men's gymnastics team fell victim to nerves and finished fifth in the finals. China took gold. And in a strange scoring snafu, the silver and bronze medals were a matter of dispute for several minutes. Great Britain was originally announced as the silver medalist, and Ukraine was to take the bronze. But in an unprecedented move, the medal order was changed 15 minutes later. The Japanese team took silver after successfully disputing Kohei Uchimera's pommel horse score, which was then revised. As a result, Great Britain took bronze and Ukraine was bumped out of the medal race.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
Subscribe to the Week