After finishing first in the qualifying round, the favored U.S. men's gymnastics team fell victim to nerves and finished fifth in the finals. China took gold. And in a strange scoring snafu, the silver and bronze medals were a matter of dispute for several minutes. Great Britain was originally announced as the silver medalist, and Ukraine was to take the bronze. But in an unprecedented move, the medal order was changed 15 minutes later. The Japanese team took silver after successfully disputing Kohei Uchimera's pommel horse score, which was then revised. As a result, Great Britain took bronze and Ukraine was bumped out of the medal race.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week