After finishing first in the qualifying round, the favored U.S. men's gymnastics team fell victim to nerves and finished fifth in the finals. China took gold. And in a strange scoring snafu, the silver and bronze medals were a matter of dispute for several minutes. Great Britain was originally announced as the silver medalist, and Ukraine was to take the bronze. But in an unprecedented move, the medal order was changed 15 minutes later. The Japanese team took silver after successfully disputing Kohei Uchimera's pommel horse score, which was then revised. As a result, Great Britain took bronze and Ukraine was bumped out of the medal race.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Boyhood's refreshingly unsentimental take on motherhood
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- What's the difference between in- and un-?
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
Subscribe to the Week