Things haven't gone Ryan Lochte's way since he smoked Michael Phelps Saturday in the 400-meter individual medley. On Monday, the U.S. swimming sensation finished a disappointing fourth in the men's 200-meter freestyle, losing to gold-medal winner Yannick Agnel (France), who also raced past Lochte on Sunday in the last leg of the 4x100 freestyle relay — giving France the gold, and sticking Lochte, Phelps, and the other Americans with the silver. Phelps did not race in Monday's 200-meter freestyle.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
- Rise of the machines
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week