n Monday, a team of genealogists from Ancestry.com reported that President Obama, by way of his white mother Stanley Ann Dunham, is related to one of the first documented black slaves in the American colonies. The team says Obama is the descendant of John Punch, an indentured servant who in 1640 was punished to a life of slavery for trying to run away from his colonial masters, becoming the first black slave in the state of Virginia. The researchers say Dunham's link to Punch shows the extent to which the two races have mixed over the course of centuries. Furthermore, the study appears to upend a long-held assumption that Obama, whose father was from Kenya, is unrelated to black American slaves.
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- All the World Cup mascots, ranked
- The 2014 World Cup draw: Team U.S.A. is screwed
Subscribe to the Week