British police have arrested a 17-year-old man over accusations that he sent malicious tweets to British diver Tom Daley after the Olympian failed to win a medal Monday. Daley and his partner Pete Waterfield were the heavy favorites to clinch their country's first gold medal of the London Games in the synchronized 10-meter platform event, but botched their fourth dive and ended up without a medal. That spurred a Twitter user called @Rileyy_69 to tweet to Daley that "you let your dad down I hope you know that." Daley's father died of cancer last year. Although the user later apologized, the diver responded, "After giving it my all...you get idiot's sending me this."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- California's epic drought
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
Subscribe to the Week