British police have arrested a 17-year-old man over accusations that he sent malicious tweets to British diver Tom Daley after the Olympian failed to win a medal Monday. Daley and his partner Pete Waterfield were the heavy favorites to clinch their country's first gold medal of the London Games in the synchronized 10-meter platform event, but botched their fourth dive and ended up without a medal. That spurred a Twitter user called @Rileyy_69 to tweet to Daley that "you let your dad down I hope you know that." Daley's father died of cancer last year. Although the user later apologized, the diver responded, "After giving it my all...you get idiot's sending me this."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- What if The Purge was real?
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
Subscribe to the Week