British police have arrested a 17-year-old man over accusations that he sent malicious tweets to British diver Tom Daley after the Olympian failed to win a medal Monday. Daley and his partner Pete Waterfield were the heavy favorites to clinch their country's first gold medal of the London Games in the synchronized 10-meter platform event, but botched their fourth dive and ended up without a medal. That spurred a Twitter user called @Rileyy_69 to tweet to Daley that "you let your dad down I hope you know that." Daley's father died of cancer last year. Although the user later apologized, the diver responded, "After giving it my all...you get idiot's sending me this."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- 10 things you need to know today: July 30, 2014
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Pay yourself first: The habit that can help you build wealth
Subscribe to the Week