British police have arrested a 17-year-old man over accusations that he sent malicious tweets to British diver Tom Daley after the Olympian failed to win a medal Monday. Daley and his partner Pete Waterfield were the heavy favorites to clinch their country's first gold medal of the London Games in the synchronized 10-meter platform event, but botched their fourth dive and ended up without a medal. That spurred a Twitter user called @Rileyy_69 to tweet to Daley that "you let your dad down I hope you know that." Daley's father died of cancer last year. Although the user later apologized, the diver responded, "After giving it my all...you get idiot's sending me this."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- These real-life Rosie the Riveters changed the face of labor
Subscribe to the Week