The U.S. women's gymnastics team of Gabby Douglas, Jordyn Wieber, Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney, and Kyla Ross beat out the Russians by a 5.66-point margin to take home Olympic gold, becoming the first American team to do so since 1996. After exceptional performances from Maroney, who scored a crushing 16.233 on the vault, Raisman finished off the team's dominance with a 15.3 score on the floor exercise, crying tears of joy as the music ended and the win was solidified. The U.S. team finished with a score of 183.596. Russia took silver with a score of 178.530, and Romania took bronze.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week