The U.S. women's gymnastics team of Gabby Douglas, Jordyn Wieber, Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney, and Kyla Ross beat out the Russians by a 5.66-point margin to take home Olympic gold, becoming the first American team to do so since 1996. After exceptional performances from Maroney, who scored a crushing 16.233 on the vault, Raisman finished off the team's dominance with a 15.3 score on the floor exercise, crying tears of joy as the music ended and the win was solidified. The U.S. team finished with a score of 183.596. Russia took silver with a score of 178.530, and Romania took bronze.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- What Ann Coulter and atheist Richard Dawkins have in common
Subscribe to the Week