he U.S. women's gymnastics team of Gabby Douglas, Jordyn Wieber, Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney, and Kyla Ross beat out the Russians by a 5.66-point margin to take home Olympic gold, becoming the first American team to do so since 1996. After exceptional performances from Maroney, who scored a crushing 16.233 on the vault, Raisman finished off the team's dominance with a 15.3 score on the floor exercise, crying tears of joy as the music ended and the win was solidified. The U.S. team finished with a score of 183.596. Russia took silver with a score of 178.530, and Romania took bronze.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
Subscribe to the Week