he U.S. women's gymnastics team of Gabby Douglas, Jordyn Wieber, Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney, and Kyla Ross beat out the Russians by a 5.66-point margin to take home Olympic gold, becoming the first American team to do so since 1996. After exceptional performances from Maroney, who scored a crushing 16.233 on the vault, Raisman finished off the team's dominance with a 15.3 score on the floor exercise, crying tears of joy as the music ended and the win was solidified. The U.S. team finished with a score of 183.596. Russia took silver with a score of 178.530, and Romania took bronze.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is American internet so slow?
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week