merican swimmer Allison Schmitt took home gold in the women's 200-meter freestyle on Tuesday, shooting ahead of the pack halfway through the race and finishing an impressive two seconds ahead of her closest competitor. The 17-year-old finished in 1:53.61 seconds, beating out France's Camille Muffat, who took silver with a time of 1:55.58. On Monday, Schmitt also won gold in the 100-meter backstroke.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- How the elderly are treated around the world
Subscribe to the Week