merican swimmer Allison Schmitt took home gold in the women's 200-meter freestyle on Tuesday, shooting ahead of the pack halfway through the race and finishing an impressive two seconds ahead of her closest competitor. The 17-year-old finished in 1:53.61 seconds, beating out France's Camille Muffat, who took silver with a time of 1:55.58. On Monday, Schmitt also won gold in the 100-meter backstroke.
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The secrets of happy families
- Is the rent really too damn high?
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
- Americans are wealthier than ever*
- Godzilla: Watch the surprisingly grim trailer for the blockbuster reboot
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- President Obama snapped a selfie during Nelson Mandela's memorial service
Subscribe to the Week