American swimmer Allison Schmitt took home gold in the women's 200-meter freestyle on Tuesday, shooting ahead of the pack halfway through the race and finishing an impressive two seconds ahead of her closest competitor. The 17-year-old finished in 1:53.61 seconds, beating out France's Camille Muffat, who took silver with a time of 1:55.58. On Monday, Schmitt also won gold in the 100-meter backstroke.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The next pandemic
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
Subscribe to the Week