merican swimmer Allison Schmitt took home gold in the women's 200-meter freestyle on Tuesday, shooting ahead of the pack halfway through the race and finishing an impressive two seconds ahead of her closest competitor. The 17-year-old finished in 1:53.61 seconds, beating out France's Camille Muffat, who took silver with a time of 1:55.58. On Monday, Schmitt also won gold in the 100-meter backstroke.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- SNL tackles Vladimir Putin's Ukraine invasion, politically and personally
Subscribe to the Week