Team USA successfully smoked the French to easily win the men's 4x200 freestyle relay on Tuesday. The win officially makes American swimming legend Michael Phelps the most decorated Olympian in history, with 19 medals — 15 gold, two silver, and two bronze. The former record holder was former Soviet gymnast Larissa Latynina, who won 18 medals. Phelps won eight medals (six of them gold) in Athens in 2004, eight (all gold) in Beijing in 2008, and has also won two silvers at this year's games, in addition to Tuesday's relay gold.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
Subscribe to the Week