Team USA successfully smoked the French to easily win the men's 4x200 freestyle relay on Tuesday. The win officially makes American swimming legend Michael Phelps the most decorated Olympian in history, with 19 medals — 15 gold, two silver, and two bronze. The former record holder was former Soviet gymnast Larissa Latynina, who won 18 medals. Phelps won eight medals (six of them gold) in Athens in 2004, eight (all gold) in Beijing in 2008, and has also won two silvers at this year's games, in addition to Tuesday's relay gold.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
Subscribe to the Week