eam USA successfully smoked the French to easily win the men's 4x200 freestyle relay on Tuesday. The win officially makes American swimming legend Michael Phelps the most decorated Olympian in history, with 19 medals — 15 gold, two silver, and two bronze. The former record holder was former Soviet gymnast Larissa Latynina, who won 18 medals. Phelps won eight medals (six of them gold) in Athens in 2004, eight (all gold) in Beijing in 2008, and has also won two silvers at this year's games, in addition to Tuesday's relay gold.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- Today in history: The birth of the federal income tax
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
Subscribe to the Week