Team USA successfully smoked the French to easily win the men's 4x200 freestyle relay on Tuesday. The win officially makes American swimming legend Michael Phelps the most decorated Olympian in history, with 19 medals — 15 gold, two silver, and two bronze. The former record holder was former Soviet gymnast Larissa Latynina, who won 18 medals. Phelps won eight medals (six of them gold) in Athens in 2004, eight (all gold) in Beijing in 2008, and has also won two silvers at this year's games, in addition to Tuesday's relay gold.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week