Great Britain can finally rest easy now that rowers Heather Stanning and Helen Glover clinched the country's first gold medal of the London Games. The duo dominated the women's coxless pairs, and their win is also good for the country's first gold medal ever for women's rowing. Britain had hoped to stand atop the podium on the first day of the games, but fell short after heavy favorite in the road race Mark Cavendish was upset by a cyclist from Kazakhstan.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 10 things you need to know today: August 30, 2014
- Girls on Film: Belle is one of the most groundbreaking, joyous movies of the summer
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
Subscribe to the Week