Great Britain can finally rest easy now that rowers Heather Stanning and Helen Glover clinched the country's first gold medal of the London Games. The duo dominated the women's coxless pairs, and their win is also good for the country's first gold medal ever for women's rowing. Britain had hoped to stand atop the podium on the first day of the games, but fell short after heavy favorite in the road race Mark Cavendish was upset by a cyclist from Kazakhstan.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- The 7 best Halloween-themed editorial cartoons
Subscribe to the Week