Great Britain can finally rest easy now that rowers Heather Stanning and Helen Glover clinched the country's first gold medal of the London Games. The duo dominated the women's coxless pairs, and their win is also good for the country's first gold medal ever for women's rowing. Britain had hoped to stand atop the podium on the first day of the games, but fell short after heavy favorite in the road race Mark Cavendish was upset by a cyclist from Kazakhstan.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 10 things you need to know today: September 17, 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week