Great Britain can finally rest easy now that rowers Heather Stanning and Helen Glover clinched the country's first gold medal of the London Games. The duo dominated the women's coxless pairs, and their win is also good for the country's first gold medal ever for women's rowing. Britain had hoped to stand atop the podium on the first day of the games, but fell short after heavy favorite in the road race Mark Cavendish was upset by a cyclist from Kazakhstan.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week