Great Britain can finally rest easy now that rowers Heather Stanning and Helen Glover clinched the country's first gold medal of the London Games. The duo dominated the women's coxless pairs, and their win is also good for the country's first gold medal ever for women's rowing. Britain had hoped to stand atop the podium on the first day of the games, but fell short after heavy favorite in the road race Mark Cavendish was upset by a cyclist from Kazakhstan.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- Dean Koontz's 5 favorite books
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 23, 2014
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week