In what was meant to be a celebration of England's first gold of the 2012 Games, notoriously brash London Mayor Boris Johnson put on a hard hat, held two small British flags, and rode down a zip line in Victoria Park. Unfortunately, the wire sagged, and Johnson came to a halt about 20 meters from the end, "left dangling inelegantly in front of a watching crowd." At one point, Johnson said, "Get me a rope, get me a ladder." He was stuck for about five minutes. Watch a video here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
Is kissing your kid on the lips creepy?
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
Subscribe to the Week