In what was meant to be a celebration of England's first gold of the 2012 Games, notoriously brash London Mayor Boris Johnson put on a hard hat, held two small British flags, and rode down a zip line in Victoria Park. Unfortunately, the wire sagged, and Johnson came to a halt about 20 meters from the end, "left dangling inelegantly in front of a watching crowd." At one point, Johnson said, "Get me a rope, get me a ladder." He was stuck for about five minutes. Watch a video here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week