In what was meant to be a celebration of England's first gold of the 2012 Games, notoriously brash London Mayor Boris Johnson put on a hard hat, held two small British flags, and rode down a zip line in Victoria Park. Unfortunately, the wire sagged, and Johnson came to a halt about 20 meters from the end, "left dangling inelegantly in front of a watching crowd." At one point, Johnson said, "Get me a rope, get me a ladder." He was stuck for about five minutes. Watch a video here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why your employer should clean your house and do your laundry
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- How the West produces jihadi tourists
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
Subscribe to the Week