In what was meant to be a celebration of England's first gold of the 2012 Games, notoriously brash London Mayor Boris Johnson put on a hard hat, held two small British flags, and rode down a zip line in Victoria Park. Unfortunately, the wire sagged, and Johnson came to a halt about 20 meters from the end, "left dangling inelegantly in front of a watching crowd." At one point, Johnson said, "Get me a rope, get me a ladder." He was stuck for about five minutes. Watch a video here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- The next pandemic
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week