In what was meant to be a celebration of England's first gold of the 2012 Games, notoriously brash London Mayor Boris Johnson put on a hard hat, held two small British flags, and rode down a zip line in Victoria Park. Unfortunately, the wire sagged, and Johnson came to a halt about 20 meters from the end, "left dangling inelegantly in front of a watching crowd." At one point, Johnson said, "Get me a rope, get me a ladder." He was stuck for about five minutes. Watch a video here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
Subscribe to the Week