espite noting that it expects the U.S. unemployment rate to fall "only slowly" over the coming months, the Federal Reserve declined to take new steps to support the struggling economy. Instead, the Fed will defer action at least until its next meeting in September. "The committee will closely monitor incoming information on economic and financial developments, and will provide additional accommodation as needed to promote stronger economic recovery and sustained improvement in labor market conditions," members of the group said in a statement.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- How Captain America won over China
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
8 Facebook misfires that ruined lives
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
Subscribe to the Week