Missy Franklin, Dana Vollmer, Shannon Vreeland, and Allison Schmitt took gold in the women's 4x200-meter freestyle relay, beating out the Australians and the French and setting a new Olympic record with an overall time of 7 minutes and 42.92 seconds.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Girls on Film: 5 essential World War II movies directed by women
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
Subscribe to the Week