n Wednesday, the U.S. Postal Service defaulted on a $5.5 billion payment owed the federal government for future retiree health benefits. Senators railed against the House for failing to act on a bipartisan bill to overhaul the agency that the Senate passed in April. The House plans to wait until after Labor Day to vote on the bill. The Postal Service says the default will not affect mail delivery or employees and suppliers being paid.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Captain America won over China
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week