n Wednesday, the U.S. Postal Service defaulted on a $5.5 billion payment owed the federal government for future retiree health benefits. Senators railed against the House for failing to act on a bipartisan bill to overhaul the agency that the Senate passed in April. The House plans to wait until after Labor Day to vote on the bill. The Postal Service says the default will not affect mail delivery or employees and suppliers being paid.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 11, 2014
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
Subscribe to the Week