As the battle for Aleppo raged on Thursday, Syrian rebels used a tank they had captured from President Bashar al-Assad's forces to shell a military airbase that the regime reportedly planned to use "as a staging post for army reinforcements." The operation was reportedly one of the first known instances of rebels turning the regime's heavy weaponry against it. Meanwhile, in Damascus, Assad's troops reportedly "overran a suburb on Wednesday and killed at least 35 people, most unarmed civilians." Across Syria, more than 180 people were reportedly killed in fighting on Wednesday — most of them civilians.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why we can't educate racism away
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The dangerous message of The Hunger Games
- How to be much happier
- The best TV shows we watched in 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Oil prices have nosedived — why aren't airfares doing the same?
- 10 things you need to know today: December 25, 2014
- The best performances we saw in 2014
When Americans banned Christmas
Subscribe to the Week