s the battle for Aleppo raged on Thursday, Syrian rebels used a tank they had captured from President Bashar al-Assad's forces to shell a military airbase that the regime reportedly planned to use "as a staging post for army reinforcements." The operation was reportedly one of the first known instances of rebels turning the regime's heavy weaponry against it. Meanwhile, in Damascus, Assad's troops reportedly "overran a suburb on Wednesday and killed at least 35 people, most unarmed civilians." Across Syria, more than 180 people were reportedly killed in fighting on Wednesday — most of them civilians.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
Subscribe to the Week