s the battle for Aleppo raged on Thursday, Syrian rebels used a tank they had captured from President Bashar al-Assad's forces to shell a military airbase that the regime reportedly planned to use "as a staging post for army reinforcements." The operation was reportedly one of the first known instances of rebels turning the regime's heavy weaponry against it. Meanwhile, in Damascus, Assad's troops reportedly "overran a suburb on Wednesday and killed at least 35 people, most unarmed civilians." Across Syria, more than 180 people were reportedly killed in fighting on Wednesday — most of them civilians.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- How to flirt, according to science
Subscribe to the Week