Rafalca, the 15-year-old dancing mare co-owned by the wife of GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney, made her Olympic debut Thursday in the equestrian dressage competition. Although Rafalca's scores weren't good enough to catapult the horse to the top of the leaderboard, Ann Romney cheered her on from the grandstand at Greenwich Park. Afterwards, an excited Ann Romney praised Rafalca's rider, Jan Ebeling. "Elegant, consistent, fantastic," she said. "Can you believe this?"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Confronting our twisted relationship with food
- How ancient DNA is rewriting human history
- Eric Holder blew it as attorney general. His replacement will, too,
Subscribe to the Week