Gabby Douglas, 16, won the gold medal in the women's gymnastics all-around on Thursday, becoming the first African-American ever to do so and the third American in a row to claim the title. Her virtually flawless routine was highlighted by a 15.966 score on the vault that rivaled teammate McKayla Maroney's already-legendary vault during the team competition. Russia's Victoria Komova took silver, while Russian Aliya Mustafina took bronze after winning a tiebreaker against American Aly Raisman.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
Subscribe to the Week