Gabby Douglas, 16, won the gold medal in the women's gymnastics all-around on Thursday, becoming the first African-American ever to do so and the third American in a row to claim the title. Her virtually flawless routine was highlighted by a 15.966 score on the vault that rivaled teammate McKayla Maroney's already-legendary vault during the team competition. Russia's Victoria Komova took silver, while Russian Aliya Mustafina took bronze after winning a tiebreaker against American Aly Raisman.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 400,000 Americans marched for climate justice. Now what?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
Subscribe to the Week