abby Douglas, 16, won the gold medal in the women's gymnastics all-around on Thursday, becoming the first African-American ever to do so and the third American in a row to claim the title. Her virtually flawless routine was highlighted by a 15.966 score on the vault that rivaled teammate McKayla Maroney's already-legendary vault during the team competition. Russia's Victoria Komova took silver, while Russian Aliya Mustafina took bronze after winning a tiebreaker against American Aly Raisman.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Here are the people who want to take a one way trip to Mars
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week