abby Douglas, 16, won the gold medal in the women's gymnastics all-around on Thursday, becoming the first African-American ever to do so and the third American in a row to claim the title. Her virtually flawless routine was highlighted by a 15.966 score on the vault that rivaled teammate McKayla Maroney's already-legendary vault during the team competition. Russia's Victoria Komova took silver, while Russian Aliya Mustafina took bronze after winning a tiebreaker against American Aly Raisman.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week