GOOD DAY FOR:
A cancer patient tweets at Aetna's CEO and eventually persuades the insurance bigwig to cover "every last penny" of the sick man's medical bills. [Consumerist]
Katniss Everdeen's influence
An NBC official says that archery is the hottest Olympic sport to air on its cable networks, and credits The Hunger Games phenomenon for the boost in viewership. [Gawker]
A band of historically outfitted, armor-clad brigands allegedly steals roughly $25,000 from a renaissance faire in France. [The Daily What]
BAD DAY FOR:
Modesty in the pool
NBC accidentally airs footage from an underwater camera that shows a U.S. water polo player's bare breast. [BuzzFeed]
Three US Airways commuter jets almost crash into each other in mid-air before landing safely in Washington, D.C. [Slate]
The USDA declares half of all U.S. counties disaster areas in light of the worsening drought. [Newser]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
Subscribe to the Week