GOOD DAY FOR:
A cancer patient tweets at Aetna's CEO and eventually persuades the insurance bigwig to cover "every last penny" of the sick man's medical bills. [Consumerist]
Katniss Everdeen's influence
An NBC official says that archery is the hottest Olympic sport to air on its cable networks, and credits The Hunger Games phenomenon for the boost in viewership. [Gawker]
A band of historically outfitted, armor-clad brigands allegedly steals roughly $25,000 from a renaissance faire in France. [The Daily What]
BAD DAY FOR:
Modesty in the pool
NBC accidentally airs footage from an underwater camera that shows a U.S. water polo player's bare breast. [BuzzFeed]
Three US Airways commuter jets almost crash into each other in mid-air before landing safely in Washington, D.C. [Slate]
The USDA declares half of all U.S. counties disaster areas in light of the worsening drought. [Newser]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week