OOD DAY FOR:
A cancer patient tweets at Aetna's CEO and eventually persuades the insurance bigwig to cover "every last penny" of the sick man's medical bills. [Consumerist]
Katniss Everdeen's influence
An NBC official says that archery is the hottest Olympic sport to air on its cable networks, and credits The Hunger Games phenomenon for the boost in viewership. [Gawker]
A band of historically outfitted, armor-clad brigands allegedly steals roughly $25,000 from a renaissance faire in France. [The Daily What]
BAD DAY FOR:
Modesty in the pool
NBC accidentally airs footage from an underwater camera that shows a U.S. water polo player's bare breast. [BuzzFeed]
Three US Airways commuter jets almost crash into each other in mid-air before landing safely in Washington, D.C. [Slate]
The USDA declares half of all U.S. counties disaster areas in light of the worsening drought. [Newser]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
- Entrepreneurs: A dying breed?
Subscribe to the Week