he most decorated Olympian of all time has another medal to hang around his neck. Michael Phelps won his 20th Olympic medal, and 16th gold, with an impressive win in Thursday's 200-meter individual medley. Phelps, who finished in 1 minute and 54.27 seconds, beat his up-and-coming U.S. rival Ryan Lochte, who claimed the silver by clocking in at 1 minute and 54.90 seconds. Phelps also won gold in the 200m IM in Athens in 2004 and Beijing in 2008, and becomes the first male swimmer ever to win gold in the same event in three straight Olympics.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Easter's deadly Ukrainian checkpoint battle makes no sense
- How to flirt, according to science
Subscribe to the Week