he most decorated Olympian of all time has another medal to hang around his neck. Michael Phelps won his 20th Olympic medal, and 16th gold, with an impressive win in Thursday's 200-meter individual medley. Phelps, who finished in 1 minute and 54.27 seconds, beat his up-and-coming U.S. rival Ryan Lochte, who claimed the silver by clocking in at 1 minute and 54.90 seconds. Phelps also won gold in the 200m IM in Athens in 2004 and Beijing in 2008, and becomes the first male swimmer ever to win gold in the same event in three straight Olympics.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- How Captain America won over China
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
Subscribe to the Week